Visa to Australia – Visa to India – Everything You Need to Know
Posted on May 4th, 2022 by Heena Ganotra, Last updated on May 4th, 2022
The process of applying for a visa to India from Australia or a travel visa for Australia from India can seem intimidating at first glance. Both countries are serious about promoting tourism between the two regions but they’re also very serious about security. However, all of the information on visas is readily available and the governments have worked to streamline the application process to make things easier.
We have consolidated the information to help you understand the process clearly and submit an error-free application.
Australia Visa from India
Australia is a very popular destination for Indians. People wish to visit, explore, study, or even settle down in the country. The Australia visa application process can be somewhat confusing because they are so many options available. The process can be broken down into five steps and they are explained below:
1. Find The Visa Type
Australia issues different types of visas for different purposes. There are different categories and subcategories, which means there may be a very specific visa applicable to the nature of your visit.
- Australia Tourist Visa from India/ Australia Visitor Visa from India. There are six subcategories under this category. This visa is for people who wish to visit Australia for a short stay, either to meet family/friends, explore the country, or visit some event.
- Studying and Training Visas, which include Student Visa, Student Guardian Visa, and Training Visa. These visas are for people who are visiting Australia to study or train.
- Family and Partner Visas, which includes everything from adoption visa to aged parent visa. There are 23 subcategories of visas here. If you wish to visit family for a long time or move in with your family based in Australia, family or partner visas.
- Working and Skilled Visas, which can include Business Owner, Investor, Temporary Activity, Short Stay Specialist, and more. There are 24 subcategories of visas under this category. These are for people who wish to work in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis.
- Refugee and Humanitarian Visas include five subcategories like Refugee Visa and Protection Visa. They are for people facing a crisis in their home country and seeking shelter somewhere else.
13 visas fall under the ‘Other’ category and they include Medical Treatment visa, Special Purpose visa, and more. It is important to find the right visa category before you apply. Your application may be denied if you don’t provide the most accurate information.
Don’t worry about the number of options mentioned. The Australian Department of Home Affairs has provided a handy Visa Finder tool that can help you find the best fit for your journey. All you need to do is select the options mentioned and the tool will provide visa recommendations.
These recommendations will also offer some brief insight into what you get from the visa, how much the application costs, how long the document is valid, and how long it will take to process.
2. How to Apply for an Australian Visa from India?
The application process is pretty straightforward. We recommend keeping all of the required documents ready when you fill out the application form. You will find the list of documents required under each visa category descriptions on the Department of Home Affairs website.
The Australia visa process from India can be carried out in person or online. As most processes are digitized these days, an online application is preferable. Here’s a look at what you need to do:
- If you’re a citizen of India wishing to visit Australia, you can apply for a visa online.
- You need to open an ImmiAccount with all of your details. If you’re an individual applying for a visa for yourself or on behalf of someone, you need to open an Individual ImmiAccount.
- The ImmiAccount will help you start filling out a new form, continue filling a form, save your progress, import an application, share with another account, and more.
- You should fill the form out carefully, verifying every detail to ensure there are no errors. Mistakes will delay your application process considerably.
- You will see a list of documents required on the application form. You can take as long as you need to fill it out so there’s no need to rush the process. Just take your time to collect all of the documents mentioned on the form before continuing.
- You need to specify what each document is and select the options from the drop-down lists on the submission form.
- Applicants are allowed to attach up to 60 documents for visa or immigration applications. For partner applications, the limit is 100 documents for each applicant.
- Look at the size and format of the document files you can attach. All identity documents can’t be more than 500kb each and other documents can’t exceed 5MB each.
- Once you have uploaded all of the documents and the visa application for Australia from India, click on the submit button.
- You will need to pay the visa application fee directly through the ImmiAccount. You can pay using a credit card, debit card, UnionPay, BPay, and PayPal. You may want to inform your bank before you make the transaction. All payments are in AUD or Australian Dollars. Additional charges for converting currency may apply.
- After you have submitted the application, you can use your ImmiAccount to check for messages from the Department of Home Affairs. You can also let the department know if you have made a mistake and even withdraw the application if necessary.
The ImmiAccount is a very convenient way to manage your online visa application for Australia from India. You can have all of your applications and related material in one place and can check the status easily.
Do not email the documents to the Department. Everything must be submitted through the portal directly.
3. Australian Visa from India Requirements
The document requirements can change depending on the type of visa you are applying for. As we have mentioned above, you can find the detailed and most accurate list on your application form online. Check the list carefully and make sure you have everything you need.
In most cases, the department will need:
- Original Passport – Notarised photocopies of every page required.
- Full application form.
- Two photographs of the applicant with a white background and a matte finish.
- An applicant’s original bank statement is up to six months to prove they have a healthy bank balance.
- Copies of PAN and Aadhaar Card.
- A cover letter with the applicant’s details.
- Salary slip for the past 3 months.
- Copy of Applicant’s Form 16/ITR, going back three years.
These are just some of the many specific documents the applicant will need to complete the process. We recommend printing out the list mentioned on your form and ticking all the documents required as you assemble them. That will help you keep track and ensure you submit everything required.
4. Visa Cost for Australia from India
The cost of eVisa from India to Australia can change from time to time. It is important to look at the most current pricing possible. The cost can also change depending on what kind of visa you are applying for. The most current prices as of April 2022 are:
- Visitor Visa – AUD 145.
- Study Visa – AUD 630 and temporary application charge of AUD 700.
- Training Visa – AUD 315.
- Work Visa – Ranging from AUS 315 to AUD 4,115.
You will find the most accurate cost based on your type of application during the application process. However, you can expect the pricing to be in the range of the numbers mentioned above.
5. Australian Visa Processing Time
The processing time for visa applications can vary greatly depending on what kind of visa you need and your personal details. Most applications are approved within a reasonable time but some can take months. Some examples of the processing times are mentioned below:
- Australia tourist visa from India processing time – 75% of the applications are processed in 21 days and 90% are processed in 34 days.
- Student visa for Australia from India processing time – 75% of the applications are processed in 23 days and 90% are processed in 38 days.
- Processing time for a spouse visa to Australia from India – Longer stay visas take longer to process. It can take anywhere between 15-28 months for these kinds of visas.
We recommend that you don’t make any travel plans or book any tickets until you have visa approval. The processing time can be unpredictable and sometimes, you may not even be approved. Wait until you have the visa document in your hand before you buy anything.
Visa for India from Australia
If you’re an Australian citizen wishing to visit India, you need a valid visa. However, the process is streamlined and quick. Australia is one of the countries eligible for India’s eVisa system. You can apply for a visa to India from Australia through an online portal if you are going on a short visit.
Here’s a look at the process:
1. Types of Visa
The visa application process, documentation requirements, and fees differ based on the type of visa you apply for. The Indian Government offers a wide range of visa categories and they are:
- Tourist Visa
- Business Visa
- Student Visa
- Employment Visa
- Entry Visa
- Journalist Visa
- Conference Visa
- Transit Visa
- Research Visa
- Medical and Medical Attendant Visa
- Intern Visa
- Film Visa
These are the options available to travellers from Australia. You can also apply for an e visa for India from Australia. You can apply for the visas mentioned above through the VFS Global platform.
2. When Can You Apply for an eVisa from Australia to India?
eVisa doesn’t apply for every visit. You can only get it under specific circumstances. However, the process is easy and quick. You don’t require too many documents and the application is processed quickly. Apply for this visa if you wish to visit under the circumstances mentioned below:
- Visiting for recreation, tourism, and sightseeing.
- Meeting friends or relatives in India.
- Attending short informal courses that don’t exceed six months in duration.
- Visiting for medical treatment, including treatment from Indian systems of healing.
- Visiting for a short duration for volunteer work. Shouldn’t exceed a month and cannot carry any sort of monetary reward.
- Attending a conference, convention, seminar, or workshop.
The different types of visas available are e-tourist visas, e-business visas, e-medical visas, e-conference visas, e-medical attendant visas, and e-emergency x-misc visas. If you want to apply for an eVisa, there is a dedicated website for it. Apply through that portal instead of the VFS centre.
3. Documents Required to Apply for Visa to India from Australia
The documents required are listed clearly on the checklist provided on the VFS platform. For example, if you’re applying for a tourist visa, check the Tourist Visa checklist for the required documentation.
Keep in mind that different visas require different documents. You will need to tick off all the items required items you are submitting on the checklist and provide a copy of your checklist along with the application. Some of the documents required include:
- Copy of a passport that must be valid for at least six months or more during the time of your travels.
- Recent photograph.
- A duly completed application form.
- The occupation form depending on the kind of visa you have selected.
- Appointment letter for the VFS Centre.
These are just some of the documents you need. Check the list of requirements specific to your visa type before completing the application form. Once you submit the application and don’t provide the required documents, it will be considered incomplete.
4. Fill Out the Online Form
You need to fill out the online visa for India from Australia form. The Indian Consulate requires both digital and physical copies of the form. Fill out the online form carefully, making sure all of the details are accurate and correspond with the information provided in your supporting documents.
Once you have completed the form and uploaded the required documents, click submit and take a printout of the form. You will need to send the physical copy along with the supporting documents to the VFS Centre near you.
Once you have gotten the printed copies, sign all pages carefully. Don’t forget to print out the Checklist for your Visa application and tick all of the supporting documents you will provide.
5. Submit the Physical Application
You need to submit the application form for a tourist visa to India from Australia to the local VFS centre too. Visit the VFS website to see where your local centre is. You need to make sure the centre has jurisdiction over your place of residence. For example, if you live in Melbourne, don’t submit a visa application at a VFS centre in Sydney.
If you’re not currently at your place of residence, you can mail the duly completed form directly to the centre. The application should be complete and include all of the documents required. You also need to pay the fees for the application to be considered valid.
If you wish to drop the papers off in person, book an appointment at your nearest VFS centre. You will get an appointment letter in your email and you need to print it out to gain access to the VFS Centre. If you’re dropping the form off in person, you can pay the visa application fees at the counter in the centre.
6. Track Your Visa Application
You can track your visa application online to know its status. The processing time is typically five working days for Australian citizens. Citizens that held passports from any other country before becoming Australian citizens may have to wait a little longer.
The processing time for eVisas is typically 2-4 days. However, processing can take up to 45 days for Australian citizens of a few other nationalities.
You can either pick up your visa in person or get it mailed to you. If you have applied for an eVisa, you will get an electronic copy immediately upon approval and can get it stamped at the airport when you arrive in India.
Don’t book any tickets or make any concrete travel plans until your visa application is approved. The process may take longer than expected.
This is a brief introduction to what you need to know about getting an Indian visa. You will find more detailed information on the VFS website during the application process.
How To Get An Emergency Visa To India From Australia?
Emergency visas are only available to Australian Citizens of Indian origin. They are only available if there’s a genuine emergency like a serious illness or the death of a direct relative. You will need a complete tourist visa application form along with your photograph. You must provide proof of urgency like a medical certificate or proof of death.
You must also provide details about a confirmed flight on the same day late in the evening or night. All of this can be done at your nearest VFS centre directly. You must visit between 9 AM and 3 PM directly and need not secure an appointment. If you need to submit them after working hours, visit your local consulate between 3 PM and 5 PM on weekdays and 9 AM and 3 PM on holidays and weekends.
Q. Can you get an on-arrival visa for India from Australia?
Ans. No, an on-arrival visa isn’t available for Australian citizens. However, the eVisa process is quick and easy. You can get approval in just 2-3 days most of the time.
Q. What if I make a mistake in my Visa Application?
Ans. If you make a mistake in your visa application, you need to inform the consulate. Both Australian and Indian visa application processes allow applicants to request corrections or changes. You can do this through the ImmiAccount portal for Australia or VFS Global Portal for India.
Q. Can I track my visa application process?
Ans. VFS Global does provide a way for applicants to track their visa application process. You just need to enter your reference number to know about your application status.
Q. Why do I need to provide my bank statement?
Ans. You need to provide your bank statement for the past three to six months to show that you have a steady income and enough savings to complete your trip to Australia without any problems.
Phew! A lot of information. But you can use this to go through the visa application smoothly.
And once your visa is approved, you can book your flights from Australia to India with us at MyTicketsToIndia. We offer great flight deals, superlative customer support, and easy booking services. As an IATA-certified travel agency, we know just how to make the journey smoother for you.
About Heena View All Posts
A writer by both passion and profession, Heena Ganotra is "half agony, half hope" but all heart. And oh, she has been a book lover from the start! Her love for books is what convinced her to make a career in the wonderful world of words. She loves what she does and is out-and-out a satisfied soul with a wish to spread happiness like herpes. Insight- Some say she is living the best life anyone could because she reads, writes, travels, and makes merry. They’re right because what else does one really need! 🙂