Last updated on Jan 22nd, 2024 by Neha Sharma
Planning to fly with Air India? Stressed about your excess luggage? We understand that when it comes to travelling, one of the things that can cause a bit of stress is figuring out how much stuff you can bring with you. But, fear not! We’ve curated a detailed guide to the Air India extra baggage charges for international flights. Check now and plan for your journey accordingly!
Air India Excess Baggage Charges
If you exceed extra baggage charges in international flights of Air India, you will be subject to additional charges. The fees for excess baggage vary depending on your destination and fare type. Air India also has a weight system for calculating these charges.
As per the weight concept –
The additional baggage price per kg is USD 35.
As per the piece concept –
- For the extra piece (0-23 kg)/(0-51 lb) – USD 200
- For the overweight (23-32 kg per piece/50-70 lb per piece) – USD 110
- For oversize (158-203 cm per piece/62-80 in per piece) – USD 110
Note – To avoid any surprises at the airport, it’s always a good idea to check Air India’s official website or contact their customer service for direct help.
How To Buy An Extra Baggage For Air India Flights?
For booking extra baggage with Air India, follow the points mentioned below:-
- Check Air India Website: Start by visiting the Air India official website. They usually have a section dedicated to baggage services where you can find information about purchasing extra baggage.
- Contact Air India Customer Service: If you can’t find the information you need on the website, reach out to Air India’s customer service. They’ll be able to guide you through the process of buying extra baggage perfectly and provide you with all the necessary details.
- Be prepared with flight details: When contacting customer service, make sure you have your flight details handy. This includes your booking reference number, flight number, and travel dates. Providing this information will help Air India representatives assist you more efficiently.
- Understand the fees: Extra baggage fees can vary depending on your destination and fare type. Make sure to inquire about the specific charges associated with your flight before making any purchases.
What Should Be The Baggage Size And Weight While Travelling With Air India?
The baggage size and weight allowances can vary depending on the class of service you’re travelling in with Air India. Here’s the general guideline:
- Check-in baggage: You’re typically allowed to bring one or two pieces of baggage with a maximum weight of 23kg (50 lbs) each.
- Cabin baggage: You can usually bring one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and dimensions around 55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm.
- Check-in baggage: You can usually bring two or three pieces of baggage with a maximum weight of 32kg (70 lbs) each on Air India business class flights.
- Cabin Baggage: You can typically bring one or two pieces of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg(15 lbs) each and dimensions around 55cm*35cm*25cm.
Special Baggage Allowance
Special bags, including sports equipment such as golf clubs, surfboards, musical instruments, and fragile items like artwork or antiques, often have specific requirements and may need to be pre-booked or have additional fees. Check Air India’s official website or contact their customer service for the most accurate and up-to-date information on special bag allowances.
Things Not Allowed In Your Air India Baggage
- Liquids over 100ml: Liquids, gels, and aerosols in your carry-on bag should be in containers of 100ml or less and all containers should fit in a single, clear, resealable plastic bag. If you want to know more about carrying Alcohol on a plane, you can check here.
- Sharp objects: Items like knives, scissors, and razor blades are generally not allowed in your carry-on bag.
- Firearms and weapons: Guns, Firearms, and other weapons are strictly prohibited in both carry-on bags and checked baggage.
- Explosives and Flammable: Items like fireworks, flares, and flammable liquids such as gasoline are not allowed in either carry-on or checked baggage.
- Hazardous materials: Certain hazardous materials, such as corrosives toxic substances, and radioactive materials, are not permitted on flights.
Suggested Read – Air India Check-In Policy
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can we take liquor to the airport?
A: Yes, you can take liquor with you up to 100ml or less.
Q: What should be the weight of baggage in Air India economy class?
A: The weight of baggage should not exceed 23 kg per bag while travelling in Air India economy class.
Q: Can we take our golf bag along with us?
A: Yes, you can but special bags need to be pre-booked, and may charge additional costs for special bags.
Q: Can you take snacks on the aircraft?
A: Yes, you can take snacks with you like chips, bread, chocolates, sandwiches, Wraps, cookies, etc. If you want to know more about carrying food on flights, you can consider this guide.
That’s it! Remember, it’s important to pack wisely and stay within the permitted limits to avoid any unnecessary changes. If you have any further queries, do let us know. Our team at MyTicketsToIndia will resolve all your queries at the earliest possible.
If you’re looking to book flights from Australia to India (and back), MyTicketsToIndia can help! We offer a seamless booking experience with a wide range of flight options to choose from. So, stop wondering and contact us today to bag the cheapest deals. Enjoy big savings with us!
Neha Sharma, a passionate travel blogger, captures the beauty of the world through her words. With her adventurous spirit and a keen eye for detail, Neha takes her readers on mesmerizing journeys to exotic destinations. Her vivid descriptions and insightful tips make her the go-to guide for wanderlust seekers. Join Neha as she explores the globe, sharing her love for travel and inspiring others to go on their unforgettable adventures.